Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
An ISMN barcode is a variant of EAN-13 with a prefix 979 that is used to identify printed music.
Also known as: International Standard Music Number, ISMN-13.
- ISMN-10 is a legacy format that was depreciated for public use.
Standards: ISO 10957, ISO/IEC 15420, BS EN 797, GS1 General Specifications.
Data and Options
- The data should contain twelve or thirteen digits separated appropriately by dash characters -.
- The data can also be provided in legacy ISMN-10 format start M- then eight or nine digits separated appropriately by dash characters -. This will be automatically upgraded to the ISMN-13 format.
- Deprecated. The legacy option prevents ISMN-10 input from being upgraded to ISMN-13 and will result in a symbol that is obsolete and should not be used at point of sale.
- If the last digit of the primary data is not given then the ISMN check digit is calculated automatically, otherwise it will be verified.
- The primary data can optionally be followed by a space then two or five digits if an EAN-2 or EAN-5 add-on is required.
- The includetext option should normally be supplied.
- The guardwhitespace option enables the display of white space guard marks.
- The following options are also relevant to this barcode symbology:
- ismntextfont: Font name for text above symbol
- ismntextsize: Font size for the text above symbol, in points
- ismntextxoffset: Horizontal position of ISMN text, in points
- ismntextyoffset: Vertical position of ISMN text, in points
Identical symbols, input provided with and without an ISMN check digit:
Data: 979-0-2600-0043-8 Options: includetext Encoder: ismn
Data: 979-0-2600-0043 Options: includetext Encoder: ismn
The following ISMN-10 input will be automatically upgraded to a valid ISMN-13 symbol:
Data: M-345-24680-5 Options: includetext Encoder: ismn
Data: M-345-24680 Options: includetext Encoder: ismn
Note that ISMN-10 is a legacy format not for use at P.O.S.
The following will generate an obsolete ISMN-10 symbol:
Data: M-345-24680-5 Options: legacy includetext guardwhitespace Encoder: ismn
Data: M-345-24680 Options: legacy includetext guardwhitespace Encoder: ismn