Release Notes: Sprint 16
Clone this wiki locally
What's New in Sprint 16
- Local server support for Live Preview: Specify a base URL for the project root via File > Project Settings. This overrides the default file:// URL.
- Files and Folders
- General Code Editing
Move extensions folder outside application root: Extensions are now stored per user instead of in the application bundle. As before, you can use Help > Show Extensions Folder to access these locations:
- Extension developers can still place extensions in the Brackets source location instead, in the new
- Move extensions folder outside application root: Extensions are now stored per user instead of in the application bundle. As before, you can use Help > Show Extensions Folder to access these locations:
- Automated unit tests - Unit tests now run automatically on a Mac build server. Results are not posted publicly yet.
- Steps Toward Future Platforms
Extensions folder - The location where you install extensions has changed. See above for details.
Project settings - A Project Settings dialog is accessible from the File menu or the project dropdown menu in the sidebar. Currently the only setting available is the Live Preview Base URL.
Code hinting - Tab and Enter now work exactly the same when accepting a code hint suggestion.
Extensions folder - The
src/extensions/user folder has been removed. Use
src/extensions/dev for developing extensions (or the new user-specific folder described above, but note that unit tests will only be read from the dev location).
EditorManager focus handling - The "focusedEditorChange" event was renamed to "activeEditorChange". New
getActiveEditor() API: similar to
getFocusedEditor(), but doesn't return null when focus temporarily lies in auxiliary UI like the search bar.
EditorManager.focusEditor() now focuses whichever Editor last had focus (full-size or inline; previously, it would always focus the full-size editor).
Code hinting - Code hint providers can now control whether accepting a suggestion should close the code hint popup or keep it open with updated hints (previously this was controlled by which key the user used, but Enter and Tab no longer behave differently). Return true from
handleSelect() to close the popup, or false to leave it open if more hints are available after inserting the suggestion. The 4th argument to handleSelect() has been removed.
Adding panels - If you add a panel below the editor area, make sure you add it above the new status bar. Use
insertAfter(".bottom-panel:last"). (This applies to Sprint 15 as well, but was left out of its release notes).
Quick Open -
QuickOpen.stringMatch() now supports looser matching, including CamelCase matching. This is transparent to Quick Open providers that use
basicMatchSort() and the default results formatter. Providers using a custom formatter should use the new
QuickOpen.highlightMatch() utility to ensure the right chars are bolded in the list item.
ProjectManager.renameSelectedItem() has been replaced with
renameItemInline(), where the item to rename is explicitly passed in.
Commands.FILE_RENAME now functions if the selection highlight lies in the working set instead of the folder tree.
Working set - The order of entries in the working set can now change. DocumentManager dispatches "workingSetReorder" or "workingSetSort" when this occurs. (Note: these events are likely to change soon: see #2076).
New/Improved Extensibility APIs
brackets.app.showOSFolder() - Displays a folder in the OS shell
EditorManager.getActiveEditor() - See above.
Resizeable panels - Panels created via
Resizer.makeResizable() can now be toggled open/shut programmatically via new methods on Resizer, or by the user (via drag or double-click) if true is passed for the new
collapsible argument. Panel size is remembered across launches, keyed by panel's DOM id. Dispatches new events "panelResizeStart", "panelResizeUpdate", and "panelCollapsed"/"panelExpanded".
Menus - Use
Menu.removeMenuItem() to remove a command from a given menu.
- Previous versions of the PhoneGap Build extension do not work with this release. Download an updated version via the link above.
#1551: Changes within an extension (or a unit test) are not reflected by a simple "Debug > Reload Brackets." Workarounds:
- Quit and re-launch Brackets to pick up the changes.
- Open Developer Tools, click the gear icon in the lower-right, and select "Disable cache." This setting is remembered, but is only in effect so long as the Developer Tools browser tab remains open.
- Debug > Run Tests is disabled in the installer/DMG distributions of Brackets, because the unit test code is not included. To run unit tests, pull Brackets from GitHub instead.
- Debug > Show Developer Tools opens in a new tab in Chrome, rather than a new window in Brackets.
- #1283: Text selection highlight sometimes jiggles when horizontally resizing window.
- Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) by default will not allow Brackets to run since it's not digitally signed yet. To work around this, right click the Brackets app and choose Open. You only need to do that once -- afterward, launching Brackets the normal way will work also.
Community contributions to Brackets
- Quick Open improvements: non-contiguous matches; include path in file search by Kevin Dangoor
- Reorder working set by drag & drop by Tomás Malbrán
- Sort working set by Tomás Malbrán
- F2 shortcut for Rename file/folder by "zanqi"
- Select Line command by Dimitar S. & Pritam Baral
- Prepopulate Replace field with current selection by Chema Balsas
- Japanese translation by Shumpei Shiraishi
- Enable manual path entry field in Open Folder dialog by "zanqi"
- Unify panel resizing code, allow custom min size by Chema Balsas
- removeMenuItem() API mostly by Terry Ryan
- Support Linux in brackets.platform by Pritam Baral
- Fix #1886: Saving CSS file from inline editor auto-refreshes page by Jake Stoeffler
- Fix #1971: Renaming file twice shows wrong name by Chema Balsas
- Fix #1172: Support numpad symbols for keyboard shortcuts (Comment/Uncomment, font size) by Tomás Malbrán
- Fix #1780: Recent project dropped from list when cancelling project switch by Chema Balsas
- Fix #104: Close file icon not displayed until mouse is moved by Jeffrey Fisher
- Fix #1548: Layout issues when sidebar is narrow by Chema Balsas
- Fix #1508: Root folders displayed wrong in recent projects list by Jeffrey Fisher
- Fix #1917: Prevent multi-select in project tree (since it was broken) by Tomás Malbrán
- Fix #1916: Menu name inconsistency: Lines vs. Line(s) by Kraig Walker
- Unit test for file rename by "zanqi"
- Unit test for reading root of drive by "zanqi"
- Reinstate disabled unit test by Jeffrey Fisher
- Code cleanup: simplify Live Development init by Jonathan Diehl
- Code cleanup: unused CodeMirror keybindings by "zanqi"
- German translation updates (and) by "J.M."
- Make LICENSE format more standard by Dave Johnson
Contributions from Brackets
Bugs fixed in Sprint 16
For details on the bugs addressed, please refer to closed sprint 16 bugs. A few of the fixed bugs might not be caught by this search query, however.