Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Release Notes: 1.3
What's New in Release 1.3
- Expand/collapse blocks of code (code folding): Click the indicators next to the line numbers, or use the shortcuts in the View menu.
Command Line Integration
Launch Brackets from command line: On Windows & Mac, you can open files and folders in Brackets by typing
brackets myFolderon the command line. To enable this optional feature:
- Mac: choose File > Install Command Line Shortcut
- Windows: when installing, leave Add "brackets" launcher to PATH for command line use selected
- On Windows, you can also opt to make Brackets accessible from the Explorer context menu for all files and folders - leave Add "Open with Brackets" to Explorer context menus for all files and folders selected when installing
- Launch Brackets from command line: On Windows & Mac, you can open files and folders in Brackets by typing
- Brackets Health Report
- Highlight 'text/ng-template' Angular templates as plain HTML
Better auto-unindent when ending a block: Works with multiple cursors, better indentation in JS
- Translation updates for: Brazilian, Croatian, Farsi, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean
Code Folding - Expand/collapse indicators now appear in the gutter next to the line numbers. To remove these from the UI, change your preferences to set
code-folding.enabled to false.
Find menu - The menu items Find in Selected File/Folder and Replace in Selected File/Folder were removed to avoid confusion. To run Find/Replace in Files on a specific folder or single file, right click the item in the project tree and choose Find in... or Replace in...
Unsaved changes (Mac only) - Cmd-Delete (Backspace) now chooses "Don't Save," as is common in other Mac apps.
Split Selection into Lines (Linux only) - Keyboard shortcut is now Ctrl-Shift-L (instead of Ctrl-Alt-L, which conflicted with the OS shortcut for lock/sleep).
Quick Open - The first item is automatically highlighted, making it more clear that you can press Enter immediately to jump to the top item (Down arrow not required). Pressing the Down arrow once highlights the 2nd item in the result (previously required two presses). Quick Find Definition no longer changes the scroll position before you start typing.
Themes - Themes should include appropriate color styles for the new code folding UI:
.CodeMirror-activeline .CodeMirror-foldgutter-open:after, and
.CodeMirror-foldmarker. All these elements appear overlaid on top of the theme's editor (or editor gutter) background color.
New/Improved Extensibility APIs
No new extensibility APIs added this release.
- Dialog box title bars are larger than usual and the Extension Manager window appears off-center, due to an Extract for Brackets CSS bug. Will be fixed soon by an extension update.
- Debug > Run Tests is disabled in the installer/DMG distributions of Brackets, because the unit test code is not included. To run unit tests, pull Brackets from GitHub instead.
Community contributions to Brackets
- Special thanks to Patrick Oladimeji for his major effort contributing the code folding feature
- Restore Windows mouse wheel scrolling to Brackets 1.0 speed by Marcel Gerber
- Reduce install size by ~1.2MB - exclude unneeded files by Marcel Gerber
- Highlight Angular templates ('text/ng-template' script tags) as plain HTML by munxtwo
- Haskell syntax highlighting by Venessa Johansen Barrera
- Cmd-Delete to trigger Don't Save in Save Changes dialog by Lucas Louca
- Change Linux 'Split Selection into Lines' shortcut to avoid conflict with OS 'Lock' shortcut by Projjol Banerji
- Disable spell-checking red squiggles in UI by Marcel Gerber
- Fix multiple bugs with unindenting at end of blocks by Marcel Gerber
- Fix: Don't cut off ending when typing quickly during renaming by Marcel Gerber
- Fix lag in file tree selection highlight while scrolling by Marcel Gerber
- Make right-click selection agree with double-click by Marcel Gerber
- Fix: Don't line-wrap file names in working set by Marcel Gerber
- Fix memory leak when launching Live Preview by edwin0cheng
- Fix: Multi-browser Live Preview didn't launch in dev builds by Arzhan "kai" Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
- Make Multi-browser Live Preview's browser launching easily overridable in forks by David Humphrey
- Cleanup: Remove some circular dependencies by Triangle717
- Cleanup: Use LESS variables for font name lists in more places by David Humphrey
- Wordsmithing on Health Data messages by Marcel Gerber
- Fix typos in Command Line Shortcut messages by Denisov21
APP_NAMEplaceholder instead of "Brackets" in more strings (part 2) by Pavel Dvořák
- Brazilian Portuguese translation update by Henrique Aparecido Lavezzo
- Croatian translation update by Kruno H
- Farsi translation update by Mohammad Reza Mahmoudi
- Finnish translation update by valtlait
- German translation update (part 2) by Marcel Gerber
- Indonesian translation update (part 2) by Resi Respati
- Italian translation update by Denisov21
- Korean translation fix by Yong Woo Jeon
- Tweak ASCII-art Brackets logo in Getting Started content by electricduck and Pavel Dvořák
- Fix legacy "X-UA-Compatible" in Getting Started content by PlanetVaster
- Update stale version number in README by Christian Coliff
Pulling source code from Git
- Recommended: rebuild or reinstall an updated brackets-shell (no critical updates, but there are bugfixes).
- Some submodules were updated this sprint. Run
git submodule updateto ensure your source tree is fully up to date.
Bugs fixed in Release 1.3
For details on the bugs addressed, please refer to closed Release 1.3 bugs. Not all fixed bugs will be caught by this search query, however.